The Floreat Park Tennis Club was established on its present site in 1938 and at that time was a short walk through bushland because the road finished at Selby Street. The Club consisted of 12 lawn courts and eventually a small clubhouse.

For many years the club was open to members only and play took place on Saturdays (mainly) but also Sundays, and Ladies day was Tuesday mornings. Tennis was not long established in Perth at that time but even so the club was well supported. It wasn’t until the redevelopment that players other than members were welcomed. Back then the lawn courts limited the amount of play available – they had to be watered, mowed, lines marked, nets taken down and put up and they were closed completely during the winter months of June, July and August. Even when they were opened for the new season in September it was fairly common to still have one or two courts unavailable for play as they were not yet ready; however members made the most of it and it was not unusual to sit off for two sets during Saturday afternoon social play. There was an active junior club coordinated by club members, usually a parent, and professional coaching was available to members. The clubhouse was small but adequate, but less than half the size of the present rooms.
Floreat was affiliated with the then WA Lawn Tennis Association and fielded many male and female senior and junior pennant teams. The Club continued to thrive over the ensuing years but the time for a change was looming.

The cost of maintaining the grass courts was ever increasing what with having to employ a groundsman, watering and fertilising costs, line marking, general maintenance etc. The limited availability of the courts during the week was another driving force that led to a major redevelopment of the club in 1990. In conjunction with the City of Perth (who was our local government body at that time) and with the help of Government grants the 12 lawn courts were replaced with synthetic grass and major extensions to the clubrooms were made. Club members contributed their time and effort into forming paths and gardens. Floreat Park Tennis Club became a community tennis centre, still with club membership, but available for public hire. Lights were installed on the bottom bay of courts in 1994, with the 8 courts on the top bay lit shortly after, increasing the potential for public night hire and coaching.

Floreat Park Tennis Club now boasts state of the art facilities with a full range of social play times available. Our club professional coach/manager, Brad Millman and his team offer a wide range of professional tennis coaching options. Members and visitors now enjoy modern clubrooms and bar facilities. 2013 celebrates the 75th anniversary of the Club which is a far cry from those early days of 1938.